Sebaceous cysts are harmless bumps which form under the skin and contain a yellow liquid with a disturbing smell. These bumps sometimes get swollen and painful. Size is not universal, so you might deal with a small, medium or large cyst. The conditions appear to both men and women of all ages. You can reduce their size or the discomforting feeling they give you by trying one of the below natural home remedies for sebaceous cysts.
The below home remedies help you minimize this embarrassing problem. However, don’t try to remove the sebaceous cyst by yourself. Read the instructions attentively and consider your potential allergies.
1. Epsom Salt
Epsom Salt is a mix of minerals which helps you heal sebaceous cyst by eliminating its causing bacteria.
• Soak in bath water with a cup of Epsom Salt for 15 minutes. Make sure the cyst is below the water line.
• Repeat twice a day.
This highly efficient salt is used as a treatment for many conditions and it is considered to be a natural pain reliever. You can learn more about Epsom salt’s health benefits and uses on home remedies websites such as HomeRemedyBook.
2. Witch Hazel
Witch Hazel has astringent properties which clean impurities off the skin and removes excess oil. Tannin from this herb also stops clogging of sebaceous glands.
• Apply witch hazel petals on the sebaceous cyst and let it stay on the cyst for as long as you can.
• Repeat 3 – 4 times a day.
The leaves of cabbage fasten the healing process and eases the pain due to the cyst. Cabbage leaves also make the cyst lest sensitive to touching and ameliorates the discomfort.
• Boil a pot of water and add 3 large cabbage leaves when the water is boiling.
• Let the mixture boil for 3 minutes and remove the pot. Take the cabbage out of the water.
• Allow the leaves to cool down and place them on the cyst with a dry washcloth on top.
• Keep the above on the cyst for over 15 minutes and repeat 2 times a day.
4. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has been used for thousands of years as a key ingredient of the alternative herbal medicine. The aloe vera leaves have strong anti-bacterial properties which speed up healing.
• Cut the aloe vera leaf entirely and save the gel.
• Apply the gel on the cyst and leave it there for 2 – 5 hours.
• Rinse away and reapply once a day.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is easy to apply and works gently to heal your sebaceous cyst. The herb has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which also work on headaches, cold and acne. Tea tree oil calms the cyst area and minimizes the cyst by hydrating the skin.
• Apply 4 – 5 drops on the sebaceous cyst.
• Let it be absorbed by the kin and cyst.
• Repeat 3 – 5 times a day.
6. Potassium Iodine
Potassium iodine is a common chemical in dentistry. It’s also widely used in stomatology due to its antiseptic, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. Potassium iodine heals infected glands and ease the uncomfortable sensations due to the cyst.
• Apply a teaspoon of potassium iodine directly on the cyst and leave it to dry.
• Repeat 2 – 3 times a day
Potatoes contain glycoalkaloids with anti-inflammatory benefits. Potatoes can also eliminate microbes from the cyst and help you heal faster.
• Grate a small row potato and save the juice.
• Apply the potato juice on the cyst with a potato slice.
• Cover with a washcloth and leave it overnight.
• Repeat for a few days until healing.
8. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a strong wound cleaner which neutralizes acids and kills wounds and parasites. Therefore, this remedy also removes the liquid from the cyst. Meanwhile, this substance also balances the pH level of your skin.
• Mix a teaspoon of baking soda with ¼ teaspoon of salt and 3 teaspoons of water.
• When the above becomes a smooth paste, apply directly on the cyst.
• Repeat 3 times a day for one week.
9. Warm Compress
Warm compresses or heating pads calm the affected area. This easy treatment speeds up healing and maintains your local blood circulation level. Moist heat encourages liquid draining and usually has visible and immediate results. If you remove the compress and don’t notice any size change in the sebaceous cyst, you are advised to consult a healthcare specialist.
• Keep a clean cloth in hot water and remove the excess.
• Place the cloth on the cyst and keep it there for 5 – 10 minutes.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide
The almost-universal hydrogen peroxide solution is extremely useful for sebaceous cysts. It eliminates microbes and speeds up the healing process.
• Soak a cotton ball in 3% hydrogen peroxide.
• Place the wet ball on the sebaceous cyst and hold it for 3 – 5 minutes.
• Remove without rinsing of the excess and repeat 2 – 3 times a day.
The above home remedies usually don’t have side effects or remain unnoticed. Consider any potential allergies when choosing your natural cure from sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cysts can be easily prevented. To avoid such issues you should reduce stress, develop a sleep schedule and make sure you get enough rest. Also, refrain from refined sugar which affects your immune system. Follow the instructions above and find a natural and an effortless way to heal the sebaceous cyst. Get rid of that uncomfortable sensation and smell!
Featured Image Source.