10-Minute Drills & Tips for a Tight and Toned Summer Body
It’s bikini season! And, it is the time of year many of us feel less than confident when it comes to revealing the visceral fat that lies beneath the muffin top we so cleverly hid behind our sweaters last season.
Fortunately, it is not too late to get in shape.
Combine these three 10-minute workout drills, along with a few simple nutritional guidelines, and the result will be weight loss, increase stamina, mental clarity and the confidence to wear your bikini or board shorts by Labor Day!
1.- Jump Rope. This simple and fun aerobic activity has a burn rate of approximately 1,300 calories per hour with about 0.1 calories consumed per jump. It’s a great cardiovascular workout. In fact, ten minutes of jumping rope can roughly be considered the equivalent of running an eight-minute mile. So pick up a jump rope, set your timer and start jumping! Aim to jump for one minute with 20 second rests between each one-minute session.
2.- Stair Sprints. Find a nice set of stairs, perhaps at your local park. This excellent cardiovascular, interval training exercise, really pushes your body as you fight gravity on your way to the top, then catch your breath as you walk back down. Repeat for 10-minutes. The faster you run, the more calories you will burn. (Alternate walking up each set of stairs, holding 5 lb. weights in each hand or placing a weighted backpack on your back, between each run, for additional conditioning benefits).
3.- Go For a Run. When it comes right down to it, running works. A 150 lb individual running 1 mile in 10 minutes burns approx. 133 calories. Even if you do not consider yourself a runner, we are only talking about 10 minutes. Put on your sunscreen and your hat, and move those happy feet!
Exercise and nutrition go hand in hand. A consistent exercise regimen combined with a proper eating habits, is the key to one’s optimal overall health and a slim and trim waistline.
Here are my Top 10 recommended nutritional tips:
1. For meat lovers, stick with grass-fed, hormone-free, free-range beef and chicken.
2. Shop around the parameter of the grocery store and stay away from anything and everything in the middle of the store.
3. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Hydration is essential to your health.
4. Eat Green. The darkest leafy greens have amazing health benefits. Think kale, spinach, broccoli…
5. Juice. Toss those leafy greens in a blender, add coconut water, ½ banana and ½ cup of berries. Delicious!
6. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
7. Eliminate sugar and sugar substitutes from your diet.
8. Avoid Gluten, Peanuts, Corn, Eggs, Soy, Gluten, and Dairy Products.
9. Eliminate soda pop!
10. Eat breakfast like a King, lunch like a Prince and dinner like a Pauper. In other words, eat lighter and less in the evening hours.
Follow these simple guidelines and start to enjoy your trim waistline! Don’t forget to wear sunscreen and we will see you on the beach!
Personal Trainer and Group Fitness Instructor