It will not be fair not to recognize your efforts to support yourself and your family. Whether you are a work from home mom or dad, or you work a 9-5 office job, there are higher chances that you’ve skipped meals at some point, and not because of the lack thereof, but because of your tight and busy schedule.
They say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but if you haven’t noticed, dinners play a crucial role in not only helping you lead a healthier life but also in strengthening relationships. This is the only time you get to share stories with your kids or spouse over a hearty meal. So, what if you don’t have the time to make a gourmet meal for dinner after a long day of work? Below are four easy recipes for busy people.
1. Chicken Fried Rice (Sheet Pan-fried)
The estimated time it takes to prepare this recipe is about 20 minutes. Now, if you are a busy person, then this is the recipe for you. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about a pile-up of dishes in your sink when creating this meal. Stephanie, a busy mom from https://www.momdot.com/ also shares some of her easy rice recipes you might want to try out for your weeknight dinners. Recipes that include rice as an ingredient are easy to cook, all depending on the other ingredients you might want to include. Here’s what you need for this Chicken fried rice (sheet pan-fried) recipe:
- 25.5 ounces of your prepared choice of rice (basmati, brown rice, jasmine rice, arborio rice, the list is endless)
- 1.5 pounds diced chicken breast
- 5 grams of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 3 tablespoons of thinly Diced onions
- 1 cup of Evenly chopped carrots and peas (you can also blend them)
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil
- Line your sheet pan with foil paper or alternatively, apply some butter/oil with your kitchen brush. This will help to make it easier when cleaning the pan. While at it, ensure to preheat your oven to about 200°C.
- Evenly scatter the diced chicken breast pieces, black pepper, drizzle them all with sesame oil, and let it bake for 10 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes, add the prepared rice, the carrot and peas blending, soy sauce, and ensure to distribute them evenly. By now, the chicken pieces will have cooked through.
- After about 3 minutes, add the scrambled eggs. Stir the mixture evenly and let it cook for 2 more minutes and serve when hot.
2. Garnished Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are not only versatile but they are also nutritious. For those who like a heavy meal before bedtime, and one that’s also easy to prepare. Garnished sweet potatoes can be served with your favorite broths. Here’s what you need:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- ½ tablespoon olive/coconut oil
- ½ tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite type of beans
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to about 200°C and bake the sweet potatoes until they can be pierced easily with a fork – you could cut them in half to make it easier for them to cook through.
- As this happens, on a separate pan, heat the coconut/olive oil, add the onions, and cook until they are brown. Add the diced bell pepper, cumin, cayenne, tomato paste, and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans and let it cook until all the flavors are melted in. You can add some salt to taste.
- Once the sweet potatoes are done cooking, slice them in half, and top them off with the bean sauce.
- Garnish them with your favorite garnishes
This combination goes well with a glass of yogurt, natural juices, or just a glass of water. Here’s a tip for you; you can have the sweet potatoes pre-prepared to make it easier when creating this meal.
3. Spaghetti With Cheese And Pepper
Spaghetti has always been a quick and easy meal to prepare depending on what you want it accompanied with. It’s not only versatile but it also happens to be light on the digestive system, especially for those who like things light before retiring to bed.
- 16 ounces of spaghetti
- 5 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ½ cups of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 sliced cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of ground black pepper
- Bring to boil salted water, about 2cups, and add spaghetti. Let it cook for about 10 minutes. When thoroughly cooked, you can drain the spaghetti but preserve some of the cooking water.
- On a skillet, heat your oil and add the sliced garlic and pepper and let it cook for about two minutes. Add your spaghetti and parmesan cheese and let it simmer in some of the reserved spaghetti cooking water. Once all the cheese has melted, cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Serve when hot
4. Baked Fish
For those looking for an even easier and quick recipe to make after a long day of work, this baked fish recipe will surprise you. The best part is that you can serve it with your rice or beans leftovers.
- 1 pound of cod
- ¼ cup of sour milk
- ½ cup of crushed corn chips
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of salsa
- A peeled avocado
- Preheat your oven to about 200°C and grease your medium-sized baking pan or dish
- Lay the dry fish fillets on the baking pan/dish. Add the salsa, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese, and the crushed corn chips on top.
- Let it bake for about 15 minutes
- Serve this sumptuous baked fish with a topping of the sliced avocado and cream
The above recipes can be adjusted to include garnishing of your choice or depending on the servings. They are easy to make and to add to this, they are healthy midweek dinner recipes that will help you to lead a healthier life.