Autumn’s tips on ‘How to Prepare for a Special Event’
Tip 1: Cut out the processed foods. Stick to lean proteins, vegetables, fruits and healthy carbohydrates.
Tip 2: Cut out the alcohol. Not only do the calories add up quick but we don’t make the best food choices after having a cocktail or two.
Tip 3: Don’t eat carbohydrates after 4 pm. Carbohydrates take longer for the body to process, they can also store as fat if you don’t burn them off. So it’s best to be finished with them while you still have a few hours of moving about before you go to bed.
Tip 4: Water water water. It’s important to stay hydrated. Water helps flush your system. Also, your body can’t tell the difference between hunger and thirst so sometimes you will eat thinking you are hungry when really all you need is a big glass of H2O.
Tip 5: Watch out for those sugary coffee drinks. Lattes and frappacinos are loaded with sugar and calories. If you need a caffeine boost go for black coffee, coffee with 1 packet of organic raw sugar or my favorite, an Americano (espresso & water)
Tip 6: Eat 5-6 small meals a day. Eating small meals every 2-3 hours keeps your metabolism working hard and it keeps you from pigging out and storing extra calories as fat.
Tip 7: Don’t skip breakfast! This is so important. You’ve already gone 7-12 hours without eating (depending on when your last meal of the day is and how many hours you sleep) it’s important to break the fast (breakfast) and give your body some fuel otherwise your metabolism will start to slow down and when you do eat you will probably over eat because you waited so long.
Tip 8: Get moving. Get in at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week. Not sure where to start? Try 21 Day Fix or 21 Day Fix Extreme (depending on just how hard you want to work and if you are a beginner or not) Simple Fitness. Simple nutrition. Fast results.
Autumn’s tips on ‘Portion Control While Dining Out’
1. Order an appetizer as your main dish. Even appetizers are usually the perfect size meal. So choose one as your main dish and maybe add a side of veggies with it.
2. Share an entree. Chances are you are at dinner with a friend or family member so pick an entree that sounds good to both of you and share it.
3. If ordering a salad ask for the dressing on the side.
4. Drink water. Sip your water while you eat. Sipping water will help fill you up. It will also ensure that you are hydrated. Our bodies often confuse thirst for hunger.
5. Eat your veggies first. Fill up on vegetables so you eat less of the carbohydrates and protein which are higher in calories.
6. Take half to go. If you do order your own entree ask your server to bring you a Togo box when the entree arrives at the table. Put half in the box to take home & enjoy the other half.
7. The first time you feel full put the fork down. Often we continue to eat because we like the taste not because we are still hungry. Don’t stop eating when you are so full that it hurts, stop eating when you feel satisfied.
8. Don’t skip meals. People tend to “save their appetite” for a nice dinner out. Skipping a meal before hand means you will arrive to dinner hungry and want to order one of everything.
Follow Autumn Calabrese at:
About Autumn Calabrese
The brain and beauty behind Beach Body’s newest fitness program 21 Day Fix (™). Autumn is a celebrity fitness trainer and national-level bikini competitor. A rising star in the fitness community, she’s made a name for herself by helping people lose weight and get fit through simple portion control and consistent exercise.
Autumn holds personal training certificates from the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) and the American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA). Her supportive, motivating style has made her a highly sought-after expert among celebrities and the fitness industry.
Building on a foundation of good food choices and exercise habits, Autumn empowers her clients to reach their goals in a healthy, sustainable way. In addition to her celebrity clientele, Autumn is the fitness specialist for ModernMom.com. Her workouts have been featured in C magazine, LA Parent, The Palisadian-Post, and Daily Candy, and on TV shows like Home & Family. With a passionate, entrepreneurial spirit, Autumn is the perfect addition to the Beachbody family of trainers.