Your home is susceptible to frequent issues, requiring frequent maintenance and care. One problem or issue that might arise if not monitored is the presence, development, and growth of mold. Mold is a fungus that can grow in damp areas in your home where moisture buildup is frequent. It is an unsightly image to have mold in your home that can cause problematic issues with the health of you and your family.
Why is Mold a Problem?
The reason mold problems can affect your family’s health in your home is that mold itself is very common in buildings and homes alike. Some people even find it difficult to identify molds even when they are right in front of it. Mold grows out of moisture, so it can be the result of common problems in houses like leaky roofs, moisture gathering around windows, cracked and leaky pipes. Mold can grow almost anywhere, in dust, paints, wallpapers, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery. Because of how common it can occur, mold can easily affect you and your family.
How Do Mold Problems Affect Your Health?
As common as mold is, it is not consistent in the way it affects all people. Some people may be more sensitive to mold than others, showing symptoms and ill effects due to exposure to mold. Other people might not be affected at all. For some people, exposure to mold can lead some people to develop symptoms of a stuffy nose, wheezing, red or itchy eyes, or skin irritation. Some people might have or develop allergies or asthma, and have more intense reactions to such exposure.
It is always advisable to deal with mold early and treat it as soon as possible. If you cannot handle the treatment process alone, it might be time to get help. Professionals from GreenWorks can help you correct and fix mold problems that might be contributing negatively to your health. A mold-free home can give you peace of mind no matter your predisposition to mold sensitivity and health history
In 2004, studies found that there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, coughing and wheezing, in typically healthy people. Those with lower immune symptoms show more intense symptoms and reactions to exposure to mold. In 2009, studies suggested that early mold exposure was linked to the early development of asthma in some children. Children who were more genetically predisposed to develop asthma were at greater risk and more susceptible to showing early signs.
Improved quality of housing showed a reduced morbidity rate from asthma and respiratory allergies, which could be tied with mold presence. There has not been, however, sufficient data that mold links mold as a contributing factor to hemorrhaging among infants, loss of memory, and lethargy.
Who does it affect?
As mentioned previously, mold can vary in terms of who it affects and different people can have differing reactions. However, there are a few people that are more susceptible to having or developing health problems due to the exposure to mold. People that have allergies are more sensitive to molds. Those with immune suppression or underlying lung disease are particularly susceptible to fungal infections.
If you have chronic respiratory disease, like obstructive pulmonary disorder or asthma, for example, you may experience hard times breathing. Those with immune suppression are at an increased risk for infection from exposure to molds. So if any member of your family has any of these conditions, you are at a higher risk when living in a home where you are exposed to mold.
Things you can do to keep your home mold-free and your family healthy:
- Control humidity levels; keeping them low with an air conditioner and dehumidifier can prevent moisture from building up
- Fixing leaks in and around your roof; windows and pipes, preventing leaks means stopping water and moisture from building up and stagnant which causes mold
- Cleaning and drying after any leaks and flooding do occur; properly tending to any water-related issues or damages will ensure that your home stays mold-free when these issues might otherwise leave your home more vulnerable to mold buildup.
- Ventilation systems; making sure all your vents in your bathrooms and kitchens are clean and working properly will help prevent mist, smoke, steam, and general moisture to build up.
It is important to have all the facts regarding mold and to be aware of the situations it can grow in. Knowing how it affects you can help you better prevent it from occurring but also will help you realize that it is not a problem that you cannot easily deal with. The fact that mold is a common issue in many households tells you that you are not alone in dealing with it and that it is easily treatable. It is good to be concerned about your family’s health, and by being so, you’ll ensure you take the steps for their safety.